Sunday, January 25, 2015

Summer and sauna

During summer we have warm days and weeks (+30C) as well as cool rainy days. Last summer was wonderful: sun was shining every day most of July. We enjoyed swimming in lakes. My parents live by a lake and water of that lake was +28C. Did you know that Finns go to sauna and jump to lake after that? People who have summer cottages have always a sauna with a wood-burning stove. I go to sauna and swim three times every evening when visiting my parents during summer. Our kids love going to sauna and swimming. They would spent the whole day swimming. My parents don't have a wood-burning stove in sauna. Their sauna has an electric stove that is always warm: you just lift up a lid and throw water to the stove. It is very handy if you want to spent the whole day swimming and want to warm up once and while.

I guess it is impossible even to talk about Finland without starting to talk about sauna. Every house and cottage in Finland has a sauna and I really mean every.

It is important to protect kids from ultraviolet radiation also in Finland. My kids use swimming suits that cover their skin and give protection against sun. That was not the case when I was a child. Times have changed as well as nature. When I was a child the weather was easy to forecast: now we have  had winters when there is hardly any snow and summers when it is mostly raining. 

1 comment:

  1. That's nice. It is always great to have a sauna in one's home, especially in a county like Finland, where it can be really cold at times. It's also nice to know how you and your kids are enjoying the summer. Savor the moment for all the good will that it's going to bring you. Cheers!

    Ronni Casillas @ JNH Lifestyles

    ReplyDelete