Tuesday, February 24, 2015

The Finnish maternity package

The new Finnish maternity package has been published -- like every spring!


When I was expecting my first child I couldn't wait to get our maternity package by mail. I had to wait for certain weeks (154 days) to be full so that I would get a certificate from the maternity clinic to apply for it. It was exciting to open the package and look though the items: snowsuit, socks, bodysuites etc.

You can have the package every time when you are expecting or you can choose to take the money (140 euros) instead. (If you expect twins, you get three "packages", if you expect triples you get six "packages"  > you can take choose to take money instead of any package.)  Most Finnish mother choose the package especially when they are expecting their first ones. The value of the package is much more than 140 euros.

I decided to take the package also when I was expecting our second child. The main reason was that I knew that we were having a boy and the colors of that package suited well for a boy (even though, they are often unisex). (And there is that certain excitement related to the package... The amount of 140 euros would not replace that...)

How about the cardboard box - did we use it as a bed for the baby? Yes, we did. When expecting our first child, my husband I build a stand for the box. We did it together from the beginning to the end. I sewed a lining for the box. It turned out beautiful -- or what do you think? Now it is serving as a shelf for my daughter's toys. And the boxes... they are used to store things.

Here you can look what the new Finnish maternity package 2015 looks like:
http://www.kela.fi/aitiyspakkaus

More information about Finnish maternity package in English:¨¨
Why Finnish babies sleep in cardboard boxes
http://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-22751415

No comments:

Post a Comment