Saturday, March 7, 2015

How to bring up a baby in the Finnish way

The first year...

I think that this article is a good package of information: How to bring up a baby in the Finnish way. It would be interesting to know if there are big difference compared to other countries. I know that there are differences what the first solid food are that are given to babies. In Finland we start usually with fruits, potatos, carrots, sweet potatos...

And beyond the first year... 


Those were "instructions" for the first year. But how about after that? I think that generally Finnish kids eat healthier than in many other countries.

As a single I used to live in an international environment. I was surprised when I saw some moms going to buy snacks for their kids: chocolate bars, cookies, chips etc. I could never give that stuff to my kids on a daily bases. We don't buy chips, nachos or make pop corn except for parties. Many Finnish kids have their "candy day" on Saturdays. That's when they get some candies. Other days they are happy with fruits, yoghurt, bread etc. (or I try to convince them to be happy...) And by the way, we don't eat jam, peanut butter or chocolate spreading on bread.

We eat our bread with cheese or ham (or other kinds of cold cut). We may also put tomato and cucumber on bread with cheese and ham. Our main bread is dark and heavy rye bread. I basically never buy white wheat bread. When we buy other than rye bread, it is usually whole wheat or it has oats in it.

We are blessed to have healthy, free food for our kids every school day through their school years. There might be some debate on whether the school food is tasty enough, but at least we don't need to pack any lunch boxes for them.

No comments:

Post a Comment