Tuesday, March 3, 2015

SO different and SO perfect

We made a one day trip by a train to the capital, Helsinki, on Saturday. It was fun. It was also challenging. It is challenging to have two children who have very different personalities. My daughter is shy and my son is very out-going. When my daughter clings to me, my son talks to everybody. I try to encourage my daughter to go play with new friends. At the same time I am trying figure out how to set healthy social boundaries for my son. It is okey to talk to people, but it may not be wise to challenge bigger boys whom he doesn't know.

There were couple of things in my mind after the day:

- I should not warn my daughter of dangers that are not really danger to her. It is not good to feed her fearfulness.
- I should not get frustrated with her when she clings to me when visiting friends (I was like that when I was a child), because it sends a message to her that being shy is not a good thing.

In 2009 I was thankful when our first baby was a girl. I wasn't sure if I could cope with all that "energy" that little boys seem to have. When we had our second child, I got a son who is very much what I call a "prototype"; filled with energy, but also with hugs and compliments. And today when I watched him playing at a train's playground, he made me smile. How can he be so "prototype"... It's amazing.

Every night when I pray for them and with them. One part of my prayer is that I that they would always know that Mom and Dad love them. I think that I will start telling my kids every night that they are fearfully and wonderfully made. That they are miracles of God. Their personalities a gifts from God. SO different, SO perfect.

"For you created my inmost being; you knit me together in my mother's womb.
I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made;
your works are wonderful,
I know that full well."

Psalm 139: 13, 14





No comments:

Post a Comment